Great news! Viking Ocean & River Cruise ships is back in the water! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Do I need a vaccine to travel on a Viking Cruise?
Viking's new "Welcome Back" sailings will be available only to passengers who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at time of departure and only for U.S. and U.K. residents.
Effective for departures beginning February 1, 2022 and until further notice concerning Vaccine Booster Requirement:
- This policy update is aligned with current CDC guidelines and means that to sail with Viking, guests will need to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, and if eligible for a booster dose, must have received their booster at least 14 days prior to travel.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Things to know:
- Before any guest can join a cruise/cruisetour, the guest must complete a specific Health Survey
- Daily PCR testing for all Viking guests and crew, processed in full-scale Viking-dedicated laboratories.
- New air purification technology installed on all Viking ships, which have always featured independent air handling units for all guest staterooms
- Additional health checks, sanitization and physical distancing to protect Viking guests and crew at all points of the journey
Please note that these guidelines are subject to change.
Covid Testing before Travel
- Viking will require that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours (48 hours effective for departures beginning January 15, 2022) prior to boarding their outbound flight.
- A negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will provide peace of mind should your destination change its entry requirement with little notice.
- It is important to note that some countries already have COVID-19 testing requirements that may be different from the Viking requirement. If the first country of your itinerary already requires a negative COVID-19 test result for entry, there is no additional testing requirement. The negative COVID-19 test results you are using to meet the country’s entry requirements will meet the Viking testing requirement.
- If you are traveling independently outside of your home country, you must take a PCR test no more than 72 hours prior to your first Viking activity (embarking ship or joining pre-cruise extension). This may involve arranging a test independently in the country you are visiting.
Do I need to wear a mask?
Similar to many local guidelines currently in place, physical distancing measures are in place in public areas on board, and face masks may be required for all guests and crew while moving about Viking ships, depending on conditions at time of sailing.
Things to know:
- Face masks will not be required for guests when seated in dining venues, bars and lounges.
Can I get off the ship at port?
We have redesigned our land program to monitor destinations for the prevalence of COVID-19 and further limit group sizes. Depending on conditions at the time of sailing, shore excursions may be limited while in port.
Things to know:
- Shore excursion will utilize audio headsets to allow for physical distancing among your group, and all excursion motor coaches will be fully sanitized with spaced seating.
- Complimentary face masks will be provided for excursions as required by local guidelines.
These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice, so we encourage guests to come prepared for potential mask requirements ashore.
Health & Safety on the Ship
Risk of disease infection significantly lower on small vessels, we believe our ships offer a safer environment than that of the mega ships. And with no interior staterooms on any of our ships, guests enjoy expansive views from outside staterooms.
Self-serve dining stations will be replaced with staff service
Things to know:
- Enjoy fresh air in your stateroom, knowing that all staterooms on Viking ocean and river ships feature independent air handling units that do not share air with other areas of the ship.
- Also take comfort in knowing that the air in the public areas of your ship has also been purified with new short-wavelength ultraviolet (UV-C) lights and high-density filters, which kill 99.99% of all airborne viruses and bacteria.
- Rest assured that the surfaces on your ship will be cleaned and sanitized continuously with daily scheduled deep cleanings.
Alaska Airlines Cruises has the largest selection of cruise deals for all of the popular cruise lines! Book your next cruise today!
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.